This service is to ensure that we can keep the Elmpt community up to date with forthcoming events and opportunities as quickly as possible.
In order to receive this service you will need to visit the HIVE Post link and complete the online form or fill in the form and drop it into the HIVE
Elmpt Station is in a most interesting and attractive part of Europe, sitting on the border between Germany and Holland; with France, Belgium and Luxembourg a Sunday drive away. Why not make the most of this beautiful area and get out and about as much as possible. Our relationships with the local towns and villages are excellent, and you will find yourself welcome at the many local festivals and fairs that are held throughout the year.
Elmpt HIVE is situated in building 258, Javelin Barracks BFPO35. We are next door to the Bistro and opposite JB’s Restaurant.
Your HIVE Information Officers can provide information on the following areas: Postings & Departures, Family, Personal & Welfare, Employment, Health & Safety, Legal Matters, Education, Benefits and Consumer issues, new arrivals information, Transport and holidays, Local Tourism, Travel, Clubs & Societies.
Elmpt Station consists of Javelin Barracks (formerly RAF Bruggen), and a married quarter community at Wildenrath. The station consists of some 2500 soldiers and their families. The small Station Headquarters is commanded by either the commanding officer of 7 Signal Regiment or 16 Signal Regiment who is double hatted as station commander dependant upon operational commitments.
Javelin Barracks is a large community which house’s single soldiers and families from the units that are based on camp.
It has a variety of amenities, leisure facilities and clubs, most of which are available to all. There are two gymnasiums and an outdoor swimming pool (which is only open in the summer months) a bowling alley, NAAFI, bank, church, bistro and JB’s restaurant, Adult Education Centre, library, Medical Centre, Dental Centre and a variety of clubs for adults and children. These facilities are complemented by an equally accessible provision in the surrounding communities. For a comprehensive list of amenities, facilities and clubs please contact the hive.
There are crèche facilities on camp for young children as well as mother and toddler groups.
Brüggen School is located on javelin Barracks and is for children of primary school age.
For children attending Secondary School there is a bus service to Windsor School, which is situated on JHQ.
Elmpt station originally RAF Bruggen was constructed on drained marshland within a heavily forested area during the period February 1952 to July 1953. This short construction phase was a result of the need to house the rapidly expanding NATO forces in the early fifties.
During the period 1953 to 1957 the station operated as a fighter squadron station. The first official aircraft to land at Bruggen was a VIP Devon in June 1953 which delivered Air marshal Sir Robert Foster, the then C-in-C Second Tactical Air Force and took of again from the incomplete runway 27. It is thought however that the first actual landing may have been made by a Vampire in May 1953 who mistook RAF Bruggen for RAF Wildenrath.
From 1957 to 1998 the base operated in the strike/attack role and from 1998 in the attack role. In its recent history; all four tornado GR4 Squadrons took part in the Gulf war 1991 and subsequently in a number of operations in the Middle East and the Balkans.
The demise of RAF Bruggen, as the last main operating base in mainland Europe, was made public in 1998 and withdrawal began in 1999. The official closing ceremony of the station was held on 15-17 June 2001, a memorable occasion for Bruggen personnel, community and royal air force as a whole. The last tornado was flown out of RAF Bruggen on 4th September 2001 by the station commander.
Responsibility for the station was handed over to the commanding officer of 7th Signal Regiment on 4th February 2002 and the camp was officially taken over by the army on 28th February 2002.
RAF Bruggen was originally named after the closest railhead in the north Rhine Westphalia village of Bruggen; however the camp is situated just outside the village of Elmpt. For this reason the army took the decision in late 2001 to change the name of the camp from RAF Bruggen to Elmpt Station. The name Javelin Barracks was adopted due to the use of the ‘Javelin’ flash used by members of 1st Signal Brigade.
View Elmpt HIVE in a larger map